Improvise

One thing that I always have found extremely interesting is improvisation. I grew up watching comedy with my parents and as I got older I have gone to the “improv” in Los Angeles many times. Improv is truly a great example of collaborating whenever it is done in scenes and groups. After watching Tina Fey’s video about improv, I realized that the techniques are actually very interesting. I loved that she said that in improv you always have to agree. If you do not agree then you ended the scene before it even started. Many things in life we automatically say no to, but improv is beautiful for the reason of always saying yes and running with it. She used the example of saying “wow it is really hot in here” and then her partner in the scene could say “well what did you expect in hell?” I also love that there is no wrong answer in improv. That you could say it is hot in here and envision yourself in an inferno of hell but your partner says “well you do have fifty jackets on, maybe lighten the load.” Then suddenly you are in fifty jackets yet you still can go from there although it was not what you initially envisioned when you said that. Improv is an entertaining and interesting way of collaborating. It truly brings all different ideas to the table and allows all those participating to act off those ideas.

Here is where this picture was found

Comments

  1. Improvisation is truly unique in that you can I have no right or wrong answer. It also means that you have to agree with each other. I remember when I was playing a musical instrument I did some improvisation and I was decent at it. It was almost like a call and a response type of thing where we both had to be in the same scale and we just either make the notes sharp or flat. Improvisation is very fun to do and easy to do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Bria, today in our E Society class we had an improv activity. The subject was how to organize your desk in a classroom setting. It was interesting to see how we had to think on the spot about the subject and say things that kept the conversation going. Before going up to do the improv I was hesitant because it was my first time ever doing it. Luckily with the help of my partner we got through the activity.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree that improv is an excellent demonstration of how groups are able to collaborate with one another to achieve an end result. Being able to take a situation and run with it is harder than it appears and it certainly takes practice for these individuals to collaborate with one another on topics that they are not familiar with. I enjoy improv because just as you referenced, there is no wrong answer, so there is room for the conversation to take interesting twists as it is carried on. It is a good example on how a variety of individuals are able to form group cohesion by similar interests.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, Bria! I agree with what you said on how improv is really interesting because I'm honestly in love with the idea in general. I just find it super fun and it's a pretty easy-going game that always lightens the mood. I find that in everyday life we are sort of improvising our actions when meeting and working with new people so it helps to be comfortable in yourself and to not be afraid to make mistakes because there aren't any in improv anyway. It's crazy that we sometime's don't realize that we are improvising or using Tuckman's 5 Stages of Group Development when we are doing things throughout our everyday lives so learning about how this can affect us in a great manner is nice to learn.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Pepsi Ad - The Controversy

Presentations