Interacting in Person vs. on Social Media


For the first day of class this week, we talked about a very interesting subject that actually led me to have a good rest of my day because I was so engaged in this topic. We read the article “What Really Makes Teams Work” by Geoff Colvin as homework and discussed it in class. A few things really stood out to me that had not dawned on me otherwise had I not read this article. To begin with, the article stated that amongst all the friends people have on Facebook, around ten of them actually have an impact on your real world actions. They did a study that Facebook put out a notification to vote, yet if you were not going to vote then that post did not incline you to vote. But if your friends posted the post saying “I Voted” then you are more inclined to vote due to the fact that your friends did so. Especially if your friends that posted it are within the close ten friends. Along with that is in person interactions will always stump social media interactions. Even though we have emojis now that express facial expressions and so forth, social media still is not comparing to how well people collaborate in person. It is true that we read far more into body language and tone than we do to the content of what someone is saying. Through texts that it's harder to make sense of. All these things are very true and truly made me think about how unimportant social media interactions are in the grand scheme of life.


Comments

  1. One Interesting fact that you shared was that ten people actually have the most impact on us on Facebook if those people are close to us. I guess it’s just like some copycat train where if your best friend votes for something or likes something, maybe naturally you may like that as well. However, person to person probably is the strongest and best type of interaction that people have on a daily basis. It’ll be interesting to see if person to person communication is still relevant as people use texting on a daily basis more often.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoyed reading your article. One of the good examples of online interaction would be instagram and twitter. We are most likely to retweet the tweets that our friends tweeted. Also, everyone tags their friends on interesting and funny posts. I think these are good examples of online interaction.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really enjoyed your article. I thought it was interesting because I also did Facebook. I believed the same thing but took a different approach with it. I was thinking based on how many friends truly cared about what was going on in my life but comparing it to yours those are probably the people who would care about whether you voted or not. Overall, I think your post is really great and you gave a lot of great ideas.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Improvise

Pepsi Ad - The Controversy

Presentations